The first European settlement dates back to 1527, at the confluence of the Paraná and Carcarañá rivers, when Sebastián Caboto, passing north, founded the fort of Sancti Spirit, which was destroyed two years later by the natives.
By order of Martín Suárez de Toledo, governor of Asunción, starting from that city, Juan de Garay, in his capacity as Captain, founded the city of Santa Fe on November 15, 1573. The Foundation Act states that the limits of its Jurisdiction were:
Other: I name and indicate by Jurisdiction of this city by the part of the road from Paraguay to the Cabo de Los Anegadizos and boys and by the river down the road from Buenos Aires twenty-five leagues more avaxo of Santi Spiritus, and assia the part of El Tucuman cinquenta leagues to the inland from the Barrancas of this River and from the other part of Paraná other fifty.
Santa Fe Foundation Act.
According to the minutes, the original limits reached from the north to near the stream of the King, from the south to the Pago de Los Arroyos (south of after the middle stream ), to the east to the Corriente River and to the west to the Round well.
Garay was the first lieutenant governor of Santa Fe, leaving the territory instituted as the Government of Santa Fe. The first mayors of the town hall were Juan de Espinosa and Horduño de Arbillo.
An act of the Cabildo de Santa Fe dated April 26, 1588, specified the limits of its Jurisdiction, stating that Corrientes separated the auction of the large anegadizos ; with Santiago del Estero: the Big Crosses, which is above the large swamp, above the Marchinsacati walls ; with Córdoba: the Round Well, which are the terms Juan de Garay pointed out ; and with Buenos Aires: with the Querandíes, who are in the middle of the road of Buenos Aires, which is the creek, which is below the Matanza. 1
Due to the floods, it was decided to place the city in its current place. The first transfers of settlers began to operate in isolation in 1651, but there were protests and appeals to the decision, so, prior to the construction of the case, the move took place only in 1661, an opportunity in which the qualifier of La Vera is added Cross in the name of Santa Fe. Finally, the royal authorization was granted by Royal Decree of August 6, 1670.